Home

The Name

Mountain Walks

Fell Walks

Coast Walks

Pilgrim Walks

Other Walks

Narrowboating

Travel

Cornwall

The Barn

River Cruises

 

Cnicht & Cwm Croesor

13th August 2013

7.5 miles - 5 hrs

 

  Garmin Data  
  Distance 7.54 miles  
  Time 4.52 hrs  
  Elevation Gain 2,216 feet  
  Minimum Elevation 515 feet  
  Maximum Elevation 2,278 feet  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heading away from the car park towards Croesor Chapel

Through woodland

 

 

No lack of sign posts on Cnicht

Cnicht peak enveloped in cloud

Waterproofs off; gaiters on. Too hot already!

 

 

 

View down the Cwm Croesor valley

 

 

 

 

View towards the coast

 

The trail after Cnicht peak

Llyn Llagi

The trail contours across to the old quarry workings, between the two lakes in the distance

 

 

Rhosydd Quarry ruins

 

 

Rhosydd Slate Quarry

Small scale working of the site began in the 1830s, but was hampered by the remote location, and the lack of a transport system to carry the slates to markets. The Rhosydd Slate Company was formed in 1853, and became a limited company in 1856. Transport was made more difficult by the attitude of the Cwmothin Quarry, through whose land the most obvious route to the Ffestiniog Railway ran. A solution was found in 1864, with the opening of the Croesor Tramway, to which the quarry was connected by one of the longest single-pitch inclines in Wales. Huge amounts of money were spent on development work, and the company, unable to make adequate returns, went into voluntary liquidation in 1873.
The quarry was auctioned in 1874, and the New Rhosydd Slate Quarry Company Ltd. Unlike its predecessor, the directors were all Welsh, and three-quarters of the shareholders were also from the local area. The quarry prospered for a while, but then profitability declined, and in 1900, a large section of the underground workings collapsed. The job of opening up new areas was spearheaded by Evan Jones, who nearly succeeded, but was hampered by a slump in the slate industry and the onset of the First World War, when the quarry was "non-essential" and was mothballed. It reopened in 1919, but in a poor financial position, it was bought by members of the Colman family, better known for producing mustard. They kept it running until 1930, but failed to find markets for the finished product. It was mothballed until 1947, when it was sold, but new plans failed, and the pumps were turned off in 1948, after scrapmen had removed much of the machinery.

 

 

 

Old winding engine

 

 

Mine entrance

 

 

 

The old tramway road, now grassed over, sweeping back down to Croesor

 

Looking back across the valley to Cnicht peak