Home

The Name

Mountain Walks

Fell Walks

Coast Walks

Pilgrim Walks

Other Walks

Narrowboating

Travel

Cornwall

The Barn

River Cruises

 

 

Day 2 - Jedfoot Bridge to Kirk Yetholm

Monday 11th July 2106

This section of St. Cuthbert's Way has an initial stretch beside the River Teviot before crossing rolling farmland and fields to the castle at Cessford. Road walking leads on to the village of Morebattle before the climb to Wideopen Hill - a fine ridge walk with superb views. The stage ends at the attractive village of Kirk Yetholm. The route is normally posted at 28 km; our walk was slightly less as we stated at Jedfoot Bridge, close to Jedburgh, instead of going back to Harestanes Countryside Visitor Center.

  Garmin Data    
  Distance 16.27 miles (26.18 km)  
  Time Elapsed 7 hrs 45 mins  
  Moving Time 5 hrs 34 mins  
  Elevation Gain 1867 feet (569 m)  
  Elevation Loss 1706 feet (520 m)  
  Maximum Elevation 1155 feet (352 m)  
  Minimum Elevation 180 feet (55 m)  
 

 

The pilgrims, refreshed after a night at Airenlea B&B in Jedburgh

The track was muddy underfoot

The Waterloo monument in the distance

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dropping down into Cessford

 

 

 

Cessford Castle

Cessford Castle was part of the line of 'frontier' defences between England and Scotland. It was also a stronghold for the Ker family in their feuds with fellow Scots; Andrew Ker is thought to have started building the castle around 1450.

Protected by walls 4 meters thick, the massive L-shaped tower provided living space for the family, their servants, and a garrison of upto 60 soldiers. It was often attacked by the English, and the Earl of Surrey led a remarkable siege in 1523. His men climbed the outer wall, covered by fire from eleven cannons and a company of archers, but could not get into the castle. Two smaller cannons then shot open a blocked-up window, and gunners shovelled four barrels of gunpowder into the chamber behind. The defending Scots took drastic action; they set fire to the gunpowder before it could be exploded, and foiled the attack.

The castle continued as the Ker's family home until 1607. Sir Robert Ker, who later became the first Earl of Roxburghe, then moved to Holydean near Melrose. His great great grandson, the fifth Earl of Roxburghe, built a new house called Fleurs near Kelso, on land that had belonged to Kelso abbey. Now known as Floors Castle, this is still the home of the Duke of Roxburghe today. Cessford itself is still part of the Roxburghe Estates.

 

 

Morebattle

Leaving the Templehall Inn after a tea break

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Arriving at Mill House B&B, Kirk Yetholm

Time for a cup of tea

Gypsy monument

 

The Border Inn.... the end of the Pennine Way

 

Accommodation Notes

David & Clare Edgar,
Mill House B&B,
Main Street,
Kirk Yetholm TD5 8PE
Tel: 01573 420604
Mob: 07721 463547
Email: dedgar189@btinternet.com
www.millhouseyetholm.co.uk

Mill House B&B

 

 

Clare organising breakfast