Home

The Name

Mountain Walks

Fell Walks

Coast Walks

Pilgrim Walks

Other Walks

Narrowboating

Travel

Cornwall

The Barn

River Cruises

 

 

Glover Garden, Nagasaki



 
  Located at the southern end of Nagasaki City, Glover garden is now the resting place for the former homes of European residents in the Meiji Era (1868-1912), and is named after Thomas Glover (1838-1911) Glover was a Scot who started business importing arms into Japan during the Meiji Restorartion period. He went on to build the first railway, and started the Nagasaki shipyard, which eventually became Mitsubishi Shipyard. Glover garden also included the Walket, Alt and Ringer houses as well as Mitsubishi No 2 dock building.  

Glover House and Garden

 

On the terrace of the Alt House

View from the Ringer House

Oura Catholic Church - Built by the French in 1864

School kids with tour leader