Swami Rock, Trincomalee
The centrepiece of Trincomalee is Fort Frederick, whose buildings sprawl across the narrow headland dividing Back Bay from Dutch Bay. Constructed by the Portuguese in 1623, it was captured by the Dutch in 1639. It passed between the British, the French and the Dutch but was rechristened "Fort Frederick" in 1803 by the British. The main road through the fort leads to Swami Rock, a towering cliff-top Hindu shrine, the Koneswaram Kovil. This is one of the five most holy shrines in Sri Lanka. The original structure was destroyed by the Portuguese in the early 17thcentury, but some of the relics have been rescued and are held in the rather unexciting new structure.
(Photo: Jim Knight)